It’s funny how a small project for my blog has grown into a real journey. It started with the idea to visit every African-American Museum in the state of Maryland (MD). I spent time on Google and a few travel sites and collected a list of 14 museums and 1 point of interest. It’s a small list but I was only searching for museums.
My first visit from the list was the Prince George’s African American Museum and Cultural Center in North Brentwood, MD. I found a brochure on the information table at the center, “Maryland’s African-American Travel Guide” and thought … why not. I’ll expand my list to include all the places in the brochure.
I visited Abraham Hall in Beltsville MD and learned about the Black History Program that operates there. The staff introduced me to two other heritage sites in the county they help manage (Ridgeley Rosenwald School and Dorsey Chapel).
My visit to the Ridgeley Rosenwald School in Capitol Heights, MD has expanded my list even more. I found another brochure, “African American Heritage Sites in Prince George’s County“. There are 17 sites and I’m adding 2 points of interest for the county.
Here’s the list:
- Abraham Hall (Beltsville MD)
- Belair Mansion (Bowie MD)
- Blacksox Park (Bowie MD)
- Cherry Hill Cemetery (Riverdale MD)
- Columbia Air Center (Upper Marlboro MD)
- Dorsey Chapel (Glenn Dale MD)
- Holy Family Catholic Church (Mitchellville MD)
- Mount Calvert Historical & Archaeological Park (Upper Marlboro MD)
- Northhampton Slave Quarters & Archaeological Park (Lake Arbor MD)
- Poplar Hill on His Lordship’s Kindness (Clinton MD)
- Queen’s Chapel United Methodist Church Site & Cemetery (Beltsville MD)
- Ridgley Methodist Episcopal Church & Cemetery (Landover MD)
- Ridgeley Rosenwald School (Capitol Heights MD)
- Riversdale House Museum (Riverdale Park MD)
- St. Mark’s United Methodist Church (Laurel MD)
- St. Paul United Methodist Church (Oxon Hill MD)
- The Charles Duckett Log Cabin at the Patuxent Rural Life Museums (Upper Marlboro MD)
- The Black History Program at Abraham Hall (BHP@AH)
- African American Heritage Preservation Group of Prince George’s County
Thank you for reading Maryland Travel Stories!