Imagine walking through dense woods. You’re surrounded by trees as far as the eye can see. You’re walking on a path perfectly carved in front of you. You’ve never been in these woods before but you know where you’re going. Someone has marked the trail to guide you along the way. You breathe fresh, clean air as you make your way and your in the company of other walkers. You’re taking a walking adventure through the woods.
Imagine walking through a picturesque small town. You pass small shops and restaurants along the main street. Any minute, you expect to see a sign welcoming you to Mayberry or a similar town from a TV show. You take a turn at the barbershop and there stands the Town Hall. A building built over a hundred years ago and still being used. You have all the details because you have directions with points of interest and fun facts. Someone gave it to you at the start of your walking adventure through a small town.
You can walk through a Civil War battlefield or along the shoreline in a state park. You can explore an antique row or view historic architecture. A world of adventure (and exercise) awaits you in volkssporting (or volksmarching).
What is volkssporting? There are clubs around the United States that plan walking, hiking and bicycling events. These events take place nearly every weekend. Find your local walking club for a list of events near you (or check here). There’s a small fee (usually $3.00 per person) to receive the map, directions and information for the event. Each event has a 3.1 mile (5 km) or 6.2 mile (10 km) option. It’s noncompetitive so you walk, run, hike or bike at your own pace. It’s family friendly so bring the kids.
Each event has a startpoint and an endpoint. Your local club will list the event and its startpoint. Drive to the startpoint. Pay the fee for the package of information and start walking. The instructions will guide you along the way. Long-time walkers are happy to answer questions at the startpoint and along the event.
The Maryland Volkssport Association has 7 clubs listed:
- ANNAPOLIS AMBLERS – Annapolis, MD
- BALTIMORE WALKING CLUB – Baltimore, MD
- COLUMBIA VOLKSMARCH CLUB – Columbia, MD
- FREESTATE HAPPY WANDERERS – Burtonsville, MD
- GREAT GREENBELT VOLKSMARCHERS – Greenbelt, MD
- SENECA VALLEY SUGARLOAFERS – Gaithersburg, MD
- WASHINGTON DC AREA VOLKSMARCH CLUB – Alexandria, VA
The Northern Virginia Volksmarchers Club is also very active.
Give is a try! Some events coming up are:
- 04/16/2016 – Port O’ Bladensburg Event – Bladensburg, MD
- 04/23/2016 – Washington Grove & Gaithersburg – Gaithersburg, MD
- 04/25/2016 – Night Walk Alexandria – Alexandria, VA
- 04/30/2016 – Montpelier 20th Annual Festival of Herbs, Tea & the Arts – Laurel, MD
- 05/07/2016 – Walk Around the World -Embassy’s Open Houses – Washington, DC
Enjoy the adventure. Get the exercise!
Thank you for reading Maryland Travel Stories!
2 thoughts on “Adventure Walking: Walking for Fun and as a Sport”
Reblogged this on Mysticalwriter and commented:
Reblogged from mdtravels
Here is a nice way to get out &enjoy the springtime, either by yourself or with others.
LikeLiked by 1 person